Finding a gaming laptop for a reasonable price can seem quite the challenge now adays. Luckily there are a few solid options for gamers who are looking for an entry level gaming laptop on a budget!
The Acer Nitro 5 is one of these options and comes equipped with an 8th Gen Intel I5 processor, 8GB of DDR4 ram, a 256GB SSD and the capable NVidia GTX 1050 TI graphics card with 4GB of GDDR5 Vram. Upgrade options include installing an additional 24GB of RAM for a total of 32GB of DDR4 (2x16GB sticks), along with a bay for a second hard drive.
Nitro 5 Specs
- CPUIntel Core i5 (8th Gen) 8300H / 2.3 GHz
- Max Turbo Speed – 4 GHz
- 8GB DDR4 Ram – Expandable to 32GB (2x16GB DDR4 Sticks)
- Chipset Type – Intel HM370
- Features – Intel Smart Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
- NVidia Geforce 1050 TI with 4GB GDDR5 Vram
Full list of specs can be found on the Acer Nitro 5 Amazon listing for this laptop.
I personally owned the Acer Nitro 5 in this configuration for the past two years and was able to keep up with the best of them. Gaming and development was smooth as butter, below is some of the FPS I saw when gaming.
In Game FPS (Ultra Settings)
- The Witcher 3 – Wild Hunt – 30fps.
- Skyrim Special Edition with texture mods – 60fps
- Red Dead Redemption 2 – 25fps on Ultra, 30-40 fps on High
- Portal 2 – 100+ FPS
- 7 Days To Die : 40+ FPS
- Torchlight 2 : 100+ FPS
- Jurassic World Evolution : 50+ FPS
Overall I would highly recommend the Acer Nitro 5 as a budget gaming laptop. The Nitro 5 will play most games out on the market today although some will need to be played on reduced graphics settings for maximum performance.
The price-to-performance ratio is very good with this laptop, as is this aesthetics and performance for an entry level gaming laptop.
You may also be interested in other hardware reviews!